Friday, March 13, 2020

The Display

My display consists of:
  • 3 x Christmas ornaments
  • 2 x strings of 50 LED pixels
  • 5 x LED floodlights on the house
The Christmas Ornaments

The ornaments are made from corrugated plastic and have holes for the 8mm diameter LED pixels (also called nodes). I bought them at the Sydney mini and they are also available online here: https://www.extremelightingdisplays.com.au/ 

I bought a snowflake (Chromaflake 24"), a bauble with a face (ChromaOrnament 13) and a candy cane (ChromaCane mini). They need 48, 124 and 48 pixels each respectively.

The face in the bauble was my favourite but my family decided it looked freaky so I ended up disabling it. So actually I only needed 50 pixels for the bauble.

The Strings

I wanted strings of LEDs but I wasn't sure where I was going to mount them. Since they are a significant feature I chose the cover to be the large style candle called C9. 

I ended up attaching them to the small pillars near my front door. I was hoping for an effect of lights running up and down the pillars but it didn't really work very well. Might change it next year.

The Floodlights

My first idea was to light up the hedge in my front yard but then I realised that the dark leaves would absorb the light. So I decided to light up the house and this turned out well I would say. I bought 6 floodlights but ended up needing only 5 to cover the front of my house with light. My plan was to have sheets of colour moving across my house but that didn't really work so in the end I went with the whole house being the same colour that slowly went through the colour rainbow.

Alternatives

I was going to use strips of LEDs and I had some experience with these before having made a LED sign and an aquarium light and because they are good value for money. I decided against them because they are not as flexible as individual pixels connected by wires.


No comments:

Post a Comment